Thursday, December 18, 2008

Lilac festival changes

One of Rochester's big events is the Lilac Festival, which happens in mid-May every year. It has a parade, lots of craft booths, yummy fair food, live music, and cheesy little kid rides. Of course the highlight were all of the deliciously smelling lilac bushes - I think they had 50+ varieties that grow in the park. Last week I even bought a room spray in lilac because it reminds me of the festival.

Bryan and I have made it to 3 Lilac Festivals in a row. I thought it would be fun to show how we have changed.

2006 - Bryan's first trip to Rochester, a mere 3 months after we started dating. I was going out for the inspection on my house, and he decided to tag along and come see the city. In hindsight, we clearly both knew at that point we'd end up getting married. We went, prepared for cold, and they had record highs in the 70's that weekend. Bryan is going to kill me for this picture, since he's +20lbs or so here.

From Lilac festival 2007



2007 - Our second year together, and he has lived in Rochester for only a couple of weeks at this point, newly in nursing school. We took Lani and Cassie, and Lani took this picture (hence the morbidly obese guy in the background - what else can you expect from a 6-year-old?). Again, it was remarkably sunny and warm.
From Lilac festival 2007


2008 - We returned from our honeymoon just in time for the last day of the festival and to see Ingrid Michelson. We had come from 80-90 degrees and sunny, to 40 degrees and rainy in Rochester, so we weren't too happy. We faked a smile for this picture though :) One week later we left Rochester for good. I just won a grant in Rochester, so maybe I'll have to make one of my 3-4 annual visits in mid-May this coming year.
From Lilac festival 2008

2 comments:

Joan said...

Thank you for your comment. I have no idea who you are...but isn't that what makes blogging grand?! :)
I agree entirely with what anon said regarding my blog post. The fact is our situation (ie: my husband working 80 hours a week) is due to a financial crisis and will thankfully be short term.
It is sad when both parents work or one excessively to pay for the flashy car or additional vacation. TIME is what children need with their parents...and that is something that is undoubtedly lacking in our world where shallow luxury seems to be the underlying goal.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments and well-wishes for my little girl! So nice! She is completely cleared of her hives and hopefully they don't come back. I was about to take your husband's advice and get a blood test taken. Phew! So glad that's over! Thanks again.